Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Core Continued

So I am beginning to think MAYBE I have no idea of EXACTLY how much is entailed in our project. 3 days ~18 hours of hard labor and still not finished with removing the soggy, rotting core!




Despite the rain on Sunday, we continued to work on our YB. I spent my time in demolition of the rotten wood coring.  There appears to be an ultima saturation point at which it removes easily—more water laden than that and it becomes a disintegrating mess and less water laden than that point and it is difficult to remove. I used a chisel and a hammar, both together and separately depending on area. I also used a cool scraper thing that Shawn had with a sharp edge and irregular edges and a hook.

Some of the places of rotten core look as if they could be microscopic world and I fell a bit like Jonathon Swift's Gulliver in Lilliput as I bumble my way through the destruction of the fibers. 


Shawn meanwhile worked until his fingers were bleeding on the stripes on “his” side. He used 220 wet/dry sandpaper and completely removed the stripes. We will need to go back over the side with a finer grit to remove the lingering imperfections. I love the look with no stripe. She looks bigger and cleaner, so we will begin our cruising without the stripe (we can always paint a boot stripe later). And  I will sigh have to get to work on “my” side to catch up!



Shawn also removed all the electronics and rails from the removed flybridge. “We” decided we should paint the flybridge while it was off since we are painting the deck of it. So he removed all the accouterments that adorned it (horn, rails, speakers, etc.) to prepare it.

Listing what we did does not seem to do justice to the hours of work on Sunday and Monday. We truly worked hours each both days AND when you look at her, you see the difference;  but the list seems meager. Everything is labor intensive, but very satisfying to see the result.

Are we done yet???? 😆

No comments:

Post a Comment