Monday, December 18, 2017

First Fishing Foray

Shawn and I went on our first fishing foray on the YellowBird! I have to confess that I am a fishing novice. I mean, I did the cub scout thing with my two boys and fished off a platform on a fresh water lake with a bamboo pole and a string. I went on one of those off-shore fishing trips from Murrells Inlet, South Carolina when I was in my late twenties. And I went with my son on a fishing excursion on a stocked fresh water pond this summer...but FISHING....real FISHING only once with the kind Captain Smooth and Shawn when "I" (and I use that pronoun VERY loosely as in the excitement, I believe Shawn actually did most of the work helping me reel it in and netting it--that sucker felt HEAVY!!) caught a cobia, fell in love with it and released it!



So enough of the backstory! I have been wanting to go FISHING...real fishing on the YB. So Shawn located all the necessities, loaded the boat (as my wonderful husband always does! ) and away we went.



Armed with our gear, we trolled out to the Bay to a top secret spot. It is rockfish season after all and there are lots of fishermen out there!




By the way...did I mention it was COLD??? So we were bundled up but it was a good cold. Plus the heater Shawn installed kept the salon toasty warm. My plan of action is to stay outside and enjoy the cold until it gets frizzy cold and then race inside to the heat and "assist in the navigation" while I thaw out and then repeat the cycle! It works great! :)



When we got to the fishing spot, I received a quick lesson in using lures and weights and O. M. G.--

did you know fishing lures have nicknames like "Stretch"???



 I got to fish and fish and fish and fish. I  waited (patiently!) and waited (impatiently!)...but no fish were biting! I was not disappointed at all. Seriously. I had a blast. I loved casting and that jolt of excitement when you think you have a bite only to find seaweed tangled in your line.




And I did avail myself of the rod holders when I got cold and would go inside to get warm (and have an adult beverage--I was drinking wine which does not go with fishing at all...next time I will take beer!).

While I was thawing, Shawn would check the lines for me!

So we had a great after fishing....no catches...but lots of fun being together on the YB out in the water where we love it best! 


It gets dark WAY too early now. Happy fishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment