Monday, August 14, 2017

Rolling and Tipping

August 13, 2017

Another skill set I can add to my LinkedIn Profile!!! I now know how to roll and tip. While we await the weather for fiberglassing, we have tackled some of the random tasks that are on our "to do" list before we can really enjoy our YellowBird.

Since the flybridge is removed and since we are recoring the flybridge deck, we knew we were going to repaint the flybridge. Shawn and I picked out a plain white from Jamestown Distributors. We used the Interlux Brightside Polyurethane:

(https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=64&familyName=Interlux+Brightside+Polyurethane#).

Honestly, I find it hard to evaluate the paint colors on the computer. I wanted plain nautical white, so we chose "white" and WOW!!! is paint expensive. I had no idea!

In order to prepare myself for what we were going to do, I found this video which is excellent in demonstration:



After wet sanding and roughing,  we thinned the paint with a capful of 333. We decided I would roll and Shawn would tip, starting with the inside of the flybridge since it was more difficult with all the irregular shaped areas.




We encountered two difficulties. One was that we had to establish our work rhythm of the roll and tip....Tip too quickly after rolling and it blotches (and gets underfoot of my roller!!) and the second issue was the paint started really splotching and streaking as Shawn was tipping. We determined it was the brush, so we quickly headed to the hardware store for a better quality brush. It made a HUGE difference.


We (Shawn) devised an awning for shade as it got beastly hot. We used a cinderblock on top of the van to anchor a tarp on one side and cleat line on the boat side to create a shade awning. It worked great! And it was tons of fun climbing onto the van roof to anchor it. :)




When we finished the outside of the flybridge, it was getting dusk so the little "no see 'ums" kamiakazied into the paint before it was dry which I found very irritating because it ruined the pristine look we had worked for. However, we found they would rinse off (after the paint cured a couple of days later we rinsed them off).



BUT....while I LOVE the look of the fresh white (I think it is very nautical and fresh looking), Shawn does not like the contrast between the new paint and the old paint since the colors are different. SO...we are going to repaint the flybridge off-white (or paint the rest of the boat white!!).




And once we were finished with the flybridge, we decided to oil the teak again since the heat dries it out so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment