Thursday, August 3, 2017

Almost ready to fiberglass!!!

August 1

My wonderfully "impatient to get to work on the YellowBird" husband used some time on Monday (July 31) to paint the bulkhead that we (he mostly) repaired on Sunday. It looks really good. I love the crisp, clean white. One of the "fun" tasks we did weeks ago was sanding and oiling the teak trim from various areas of the boat.  So today FIRST THING we located the bulkhead trim, touched it up a bit and then installed it. What a difference! The bulkhead looks clean, bright and shiny-new!
It made us smile all day as we worked!




One of the "benefits" of the YellowBird being in the boatyard is that we have attracted every wasp in a tri-State area to build a nest in the crevices. So while we work, the wasps fly back and forth building their nests and rebuilding them as we find their location and dismantle them.



Our immediate task for today was to prepare the deck core for fiberglass. We have to level it out as best we can and ensure that all the connections between pieces are smooth. Shawn used the grinder and I used the belt sander to begin to level the different sections uniformly.






"Now be careful when you use the belt sander, Liz.  KEEP the cord AWAY from the belt. DO NOT let the belt TOUCH the cord."


Shawn...why why why do you put those things out in the universe???!!!!




"Liz, what are you doing?"

"Nothing, Shawn."

"Um, Shawn? I got the cord in the belt sander."


So after laughing hysterically at me an and my sometimes ineptitude, we untangled the cord and managed to sand the entire flybridge coring.


The channel cut is designed for the new wiring which Shawn will complete. We are happy with the crown of the new deck coring. I cannot wait until the fiberglass is on and I can DANCE on it!



Shawn had a present for me when we arrived home! He got me a propeller for the boat!!! YAY!!! I love the way it looks!



So now we ONLY have to prep the flybridge deck for fiberglassing. I think we have to sand it again? Maybe two more times? And paint (roll and tip) the flybridge.  (I have been watching youtube videos). Then fiberglass the new coring and then paint the new fiberglass deck.

So we are ALMOST ready to fiberglass?

No comments:

Post a Comment